This stairs was originally from another grand house so it was felt I could be a little more creative with it as there several things which needed improving to complement it's present surroundings, the first being the dark brown shellac which had been applied many years ago and the second was the paneling which hadn't been done well and there were to many panels in such a small area.
The old look before I started
Restoration of the handrail and spindles
Getting off the old shellac was simple once they were removed and back at the workshop, plenty of meths wire wool and brass brushes did the trick. I also turned new acorns out of the old newel cappings as the originals were so big.
Next was to remove the stud wall at the end of the landing and make new part including 3 spindles